Xinput1_3.dll is a critical component of the Microsoft DirectX application programming interface (API) that is responsible for handling input from gaming devices such as gamepads, joysticks, and other controllers. It is an essential system file required by most games that use the DirectX API, and any issues with it can cause severe problems with game performance and functionality.
In this article, we will dive deep into what Xinput1_3.dll is, what it does, how it works, and how to fix any issues related to it.
What is Xinput1_3.dll?
Xinput1_3.dll is a dynamic link library (DLL) file that is part of Microsoft DirectX API. The DLL file is responsible for handling input from gaming devices and providing support for the Xbox 360 controller. It was introduced with DirectX 9 and has been a crucial component of DirectX ever since.
The DLL file provides an interface between the game and the input device, allowing for seamless communication between the two. It also allows for the use of multiple input devices simultaneously, making it possible to play games with friends using different controllers.
What Does Xinput1_3.dll Do?
As mentioned earlier, Xinput1_3.dll is responsible for handling input from gaming devices. It does this by providing a set of functions that game developers can use to read input from controllers. These functions include:
- XInputGetState: This function retrieves the current state of a controller, including button presses and joystick movements.
- XInputSetState: This function sends a vibration command to the controller, allowing it to vibrate in response to in-game events.
- XInputGetCapabilities: This function retrieves information about the capabilities of a controller, such as the number of buttons and triggers it has.
- XInputGetKeystroke: This function retrieves information about a keystroke from a controller, allowing for the use of keyboard-like input in games.
All of these functions work together to provide game developers with a seamless way to read input from gaming devices and incorporate that input into their games.
How Does Xinput1_3.dll Work?
Xinput1_3.dll works by intercepting input from gaming devices and converting that input into a format that games can use. When a game is launched, it loads the DLL file into memory, allowing it to access the Xinput functions. When the game needs to read input from a controller, it calls one of the Xinput functions, which in turn communicates with the controller.
The DLL file communicates with the controller through the device driver. When the driver receives input from the controller, it passes that input to the DLL file. The DLL file then converts the input into a format that the game can use and sends it to the game.
What Causes Xinput1_3.dll Errors?
Xinput1_3.dll errors can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Missing or Corrupted DLL File: The most common cause of Xinput1_3.dll errors is a missing or corrupted DLL file. This can occur if the file is deleted, moved, or overwritten by another program.
- Outdated Drivers: Xinput1_3.dll errors can also occur if the device drivers for your gaming devices are outdated or not installed correctly.
- Malware Infections: Malware infections can cause Xinput1_3.dll errors by infecting the DLL file or interfering with its functionality.
- Registry Issues: Registry issues can also cause Xinput1_3.dll errors by corrupting the DLL file or its associated registry entries.
How to Fix Xinput1_3.dll Errors?
Fixing Xinput1_3.dll errors can be challenging, but there are several solutions that you can try. Here are some of the most effective solutions
- Reinstall DirectX: Reinstalling DirectX is the easiest solution for fixing Xinput1_3.dll errors. You can download and install the latest version of DirectX from the Microsoft website. This will replace any missing or corrupted files, including Xinput1_3.dll.
- Update Drivers: Updating your device drivers is another effective solution for fixing Xinput1_3.dll errors. You can update your drivers manually or use a driver update tool to do it automatically.
- Scan for Malware: If you suspect that malware is causing the Xinput1_3.dll error, you should run a full system scan using a reputable antivirus software. This will help you detect and remove any malware infections on your system.
- Restore from Backup: If you have a backup of your system that was created before the Xinput1_3.dll error occurred, you can restore your system to that backup point. This will revert your system to its previous state, including any missing or corrupted files.
- Reinstall the Game: If the Xinput1_3.dll error occurs only when you try to launch a specific game, then reinstalling the game may fix the issue. This will replace any missing or corrupted game files, including the Xinput1_3.dll file.
Xinput1_3.dll is a critical component of the Microsoft DirectX API that handles input from gaming devices. It provides game developers with a seamless way to read input from controllers and incorporate that input into their games. Xinput1_3.dll errors can occur due to a variety of reasons, including missing or corrupted files, outdated drivers, malware infections, and registry issues. However, you can fix these errors by reinstalling DirectX, updating drivers, scanning for malware, restoring from backup, or reinstalling the game.